Is this for you?
Is cohousing for you?
If you answer yes to most of these questions then it probably is…
- Would you like to benefit from the ecological and financial advantages of sharing some facilities with other households?
- Would you like to live somewhere where you know, share values and socialise with your neighbours?
- Do you want a social life that you don’t have to plan in advance?
- Would you like to share large living, cooking, dining and outdoor space?
- Do you have ecological values?
- Would you like to eat regular shared meals?
- Do you wish to buy outright, use shared equity, or rent a home with a self contained kitchen?
- Would you like to have a home designed for changing physical needs?
Do a bit of research and reading and come with your questions and thoughts.
There is a lot out there on the world wide web, via videos and articles, there are more and more books and accademic research, blogs and conferences.
Recommended reading and seeing:
Cohousing by Kathryn McCamant and Charles Durrett is a great first book to get a ‘feel for’ cohousing.
Finding Community – how to join an Ecovillage or Intentional Community by Diana Leafe Christian, New Society Publishers, 2007
Creating a Life Together – practical tools to grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities by Diana Leafe Christian, New Society Publishers, 2003
See Cohousing UK’s great resource and support section: http://cohousing.org.uk/resources
The Cohousing Handbook, as pdf for free online
Maria Brenton’s research paper Senior cohousing communities – an alternative approach for the UK?
OWCH, UK’s first Senior Housing Community starts moving in in August 2016
And many links to existing communities round the world
Let us know what you find!