Penington CoHousing aims:
- Penington CoHousing is working with Southside Housing Association (SHA).
- to have ca 25 flats. These are both one and two bedroomed with their own kitchen and balconies.
- each member to make a financial investment towards the costs of land purchase, build and maintenance. If interested in the shared equity or rented properties then the financial commitment will be less but the other requirements for full membership remain the same.
- to enable members to manage the self-contained homes, communal areas and facilities in a co-operative and caring way, through an inclusive management structure
- to build the properties in such a way as to encourage socialisation and enjoyment of the surroundings
- to provide lifetime home accommodation as far as possible
- Southside Housing Association will be our developer and has engaged an ecological expert to look at using a biomass boiler for the whole of the redevelopment of the site.
- to reduce maintenance costs as far as possible
- to offer neighbourly care towards each other with no paid warden
Penington CoHousing benefits:
- the project provides a model for independent living and neighbourly care which combats the prevalence of isolation and loneliness, and reliance on family members
- each member is part of the management and running of the community
- the project is designed to encourage social interaction and provides private living space
- each member will be valued for what they can offer, and will not be grouped according to age and/or disability
- the buildings will have good insulation, and lower heating bills
- you choose your neighbours before you move in
- the buildings and surrounds will be designed to be low maintenance
- accommodation will be designed to meet LifeTime living standards
- communal meals and group activities as desired by members
- the project operates as a not-for-profit company